Wednesday, March 6, 2013

All I have to give

I wanted to give you something special. Something I treasured that could stay with you until we meet again.

But there was no thing precious enough to send with you. You were what I cherished. You were what was hard to let go of. How could I give you a gift that had no bearing on my heart?

On the day you were buried, the last day we saw your sweet face, I still had no gift for you. I had tried, but nothing was close enough to my heart to represent my love for you.

There you were, wrapped in the pretty blue blanket your Grandma made for you, snug in the little white sleeper she helped us choose for you.

You looked peaceful. I didn't want to say goodbye again. On the day you were born, the moment we handed over your precious little body was the hardest moment I had ever had to bear.

I looked upon your sweet little face for the last time. I leaned over to kiss your forehead one more time before your tiny casket would be closed. My tears landed on your cheek and in the fibers of your little hat.

There you go, my sweet boy. All I have is my love and these tears. My tears will stay with you and so will all my love for all of my days. 

3 comments:

  1. This is so beauitful Emily. I am so sorry little Daniel had to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! I now know I can't read this blog at school.... tears are harder to explain while at work. :)

    Loves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Decided to read your blog after the comment you left on my families. I hate knowing anyone has to experience these things, but there is some comfort in knowing we are not the only ones. What a blessing our sweet angels are to our lives. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete